Wacom detection issues with KDE

I've had some issues with KDE Plasma 5 detecting a Wacom Intuos4. I tried several solutions and finally got it to work normally by NOT installing input-wacom-dkms and installing xorg-xinput along kcm-wacomtablet, libwacom and xf86-input-wacom (that were already installed with KDE).

At one point I had installed both input-wacom-dkms and xorg-input and didn't work. The trick was uninstalling input-wacom-dkms and installing xorg-input only.

I thought I'd post it just for the record hoping it might be of some help to somebody else.

2 Likes

Is ok that you post it. Nowhere in the wiki is mentioned the need of input-wacom-dkms and since Arch and Manjaro provide kernels that have the usbhid and hid modules that work for wacom and other devices trough libwacom, the dkms is redundant and conflictual.

4 Likes

I did end installing it because I read it somewhere and the device was not appearing in the listing. The wiki says:

Ensure your kernel recognizes your tablet. Connect your tablet via USB or Bluetooth. It should show up in dmesg | grep -i wacom and be listed in /proc/bus/input/devices (and if you use USB in the lsusb output). If it does not, your only chance is that your tablet is supported by a more recent driver than the one in your kernel. In that case install the input-wacom-dkmsAUR package.

I thought it was strange that my tablet wasn't supported in the kernel drivers because it's an old one, but I ended up installing input-wacom-dkms anyway out of desperation because it was not listed. Turned out it was adding to the problem instead of helping to solve it : )

Arch wiki is a boarder wiki, covers a lot of ground. Mentions almost everything is available and possible. If i was to do each step from it, just the wacom part on my end, the working tablet i have would end up in a mess. :slight_smile:

1 Like

right. That's how I ended up haha

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by