What are your experiences related to stability of Manjaro ecosystem?

No, that is not what I mean. It is not a partial upgrade. It is a tested upgrade.

1 Like

It's been solid for me since December. Perhaps the occasional bug with one update that is usually fixed with the next.

I err on the side of caution when it comes to installing stuff from outside the repos, and have backups out the wazoo should anything go wrong, haven't needed them yet though.

Made me think... is there any tool which would make using AUR less risky?

I'm thinking of making a small script that would iterate through all of my AUR packages and make some scheduled log entries to keep tracking and notify me whenever a maintainer has been replaced, or if a package becomes abandoned/inactive for some time, or any other similar circumstance that I would need to be notified. If a tool like that already exists, that would be great.

Most AUR helpers give you this kind of functionality .. for example prompting to view the PKGBUILD every time. Or to simply view the 'diff's (Which would include all changes, include change in maintainer)

It's more like getting notified i.e. yaourt is dead, but currently there's no way to get notified about it automatically.

Well .. it died some years ago .. there isnt a need for that.
And .. when it comes to AUR helpers .. the only ones you really should be using are in the Repos .. you will know if they get dropped.
[ yay , pacaur , auracle trizen , (and honorable mention for pacui) and of course pamac and makepkg ]

There is also this nifty little tool aurphan that searches for aur packages without maintainers, etc.

2 Likes

Wrong question. :wink:
The right question is how can I easier investigate what I'm installing from AUR?
aurorphan sounds good though, but others also show orphan packages.

Just the tool I needed. Thanks! :+1:

Thanks. Well, any contribution towards the right answer would be greatly appreciated. So far I've got:

1. sending btrfs snapshot to a different disk
  2. aurphan tool

I would suggest btrfs snapshots to protect you from broken regular updates not AUR package breakages or similar.

I've been using Manjaro for about a year now. I'm quite pleased with the stability of the system. Yes, sometimes an update breaks something, but so far, I've always been able to fix it, either by discovering what went wrong and repairing it manually, or by restoring a timeshift snapshot and updating again. To knock on wood, I have not yet needed to boot from a live image and chroot into my install to fix it. But that's not too difficult, either.

I always update from the TTY (unless the update is really small, like a Firefox security update), and I always reboot.

I have not used Windows for almost a decade now, with one exception: a computer in my workshop that runs Win7 to control the CNC machines. So I can't really compare Linux to any recent version Windows. I hear from trustworthy sources that they suck, though. :wink:

I don't dual boot. I don't even run Windows in a VM (but if I really needed to, I'd run it in a VM, without an internet connection).

When it comes to drivers, I have Manjaro running on a computer with an AMD cards, another one with an Nvidia card, and my old laptop only has Intel integrated graphics. MHWD worked fine in all of my cases.

When it comes to the AUR, it is really one of the safest software repositories, due to the fact it is so simple and 100% transparent. However, anyone can add anything to the AUR, including malicious software. So you have to pay attention to what you're installing and from where the software is sourced. Learn to inspect the PKGBUILD file. If you only open Pamac, look for a program in the AUR and blindly click on the Build button, you're just asking for trouble, and you'll probably get it, eventually.

Now, there are some decisions about Manjaro that the devs made that slightly annoy me and that I disagree with, but it's nothing too major that I cannot easily fix myself. It's mostly regarding some default settings and the inclusion of software that I would call spyware, like Steam and snapd (though, I'm somewhat of an extremist when it comes to telemetry, what I call spyware, 99% of people would be perfectly fine with, so take everything I say about it with a grain of salt).

2 Likes

I use the following script that helps me to automate the process of my updates and I do check everything you've mentioned:

However, imho - without making a tool like this mandatory, Manjaro failed gnarly to make the process of updating packages more usable for the new users, since it's obvious that it's a very important and delicate step that happens frequently, almost on weekly basis.

Oh, no, Krešo... this is not "that" kind of thread... not iPhone vs. Android, or Windows vs. Mac kind-of-thing. :smile: I'm on linux since 1993, but when a task requires a fully fledged Windows native environment, there is no way to avoid choosing between having a dual boot setup, or stacking your separate machines (which would leave my Windows machine inactive for 99% of time). I'm fully aware and heavily use VirtualBox for some other things, but for Windows - it's simply not an option for my particular case.

I can't really comment on that, I'm just reporting the rumours I heard. :wink:

I've been on cinnamon for about 7 months, old hardware, Q6600 cpu, amd HD4870 gpu, and it runs great. I update through TTY except for small ones, and read the announcements first. doesn't get much better.

1 Like

pacui is a great discovery. Thanks for sharing. I've read your comment about your dad and I fully support the idea to implement an intuitive tool with similar (even more advanced) functionality with Pamac. Things like this represent exactly what still scares ordinary people far away from using linux.

I am quite satisfied :+1:

I am using unstable branch - and IMO it is the most stable Manjaro branch - sounds contradictory - I know :grin:

2 Likes

Could you elaborate the contradiction? How come? Should I move to unstable branch? lol :grin:

I've been using Manjaro several years now. I only get into trouble when I miss an update (or two.) The update announcement threads and forum search have so far solved my problems. manjaro-chroot -a can be an install saver. I have Manjaro running on a baytrail 2-in-1, a skylake desktop and a kaby-lake laptop. These are all intel cpu/integrated GPU. I mainly run with the testing branch using Cinnamon. All my important data lives on dedicated partitions, so a re-install would be minimally disruptive, but that's only been needed twice in four years and IIRC only one of those had anything to do with an update. Unless I need a specific fix or update, I usually wait a day or two before updating. I have more annoyance from multi-booting than testing branch updates.

I've been using Manjaro for almost three years now.

Started from Xfce, then switched to KDE, then to i3, which I eventually converted to pure Sway.

Also, I dual boot with Windows 10 LTSC (on a separate SSD), which I have to use for work.

I'm on the testing branch, and I've never had any major problems with Manjaro, other than having Ungoogled Chromium (which is an AUR package) being broken after some updates.

1 Like

The contradiction is the words stable vs unstable.

In reality the only difference between unstable and stable is the time taken when the core team decides to do the snap.

And because of that updates are much more frequent on unstable and as such much less prone to weird - hard to find issues - because you have a fairly short log of what happened and the troubleshooting process - in case of accidents - is much easier to handle.

The users using unstable are known capable and informed and able to fix small issues in a snap while many users on stable are #newbies - so when the packages are snapped to stable - the #newbies who have filled their system with interesting and 'useful' packages build from AUR - clicks the update icon and because there - most likely - is updates to kernels, drivers and x - the whole #! becomes unresponsive - user forcefully restart and the song begin.

without knowing that adding them adds a boatload of possible conflicts and required rebuilds -

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by