What better file system should I use on Manjaro?

Good day! I have Windows laptop with Windows on it with SSD, and it is simple - I use ntfs. But I want to move to Manjaro. Give me advice - what is the best file system for it is? I read about ext4 - they say it supports trim, but not out of the box, you should set it right. What about btrfs? I`m confused. And what about efi partition - as I know Linux format it to fat32, but fat32 does not support ssd trim mode.

well, as far as (the semi-proprietary-binary) uefi goes, fat32/16 is our ONLY choice, and that's not by Linux's choice. Even ext2 would be more secure and better than fat32.
But M$,
'cause it was forced by M$, (along with Asus, Dell, Lenovo, ...) for their restrictive-boot reasons', is what our present closed binary-UEFI is all about.

2 Likes

But can I format efi partition to something that supports trim?

Then follow this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drive#TRIM

1 Like

So I can use vfat for efi partition, am I right?

I could be wrong but all the partitions do not need to support trim for it to work where it matters. Boot partitions are unlikely to need to be trimmed as they are not frequently writing to the partition.

Your other partitions like root and home would benefit from trim on an SSD.

To be honest, I used the default partition scheme and never bothered to check the filesystem type. I have an SSD and vaguely recall checking to see if TRIM was enabled and it was.

I wouldnt use btrfs unless its for a pool of disks like you would do with a raid array, in which case raid and ZFS are other options. Many consider btrfs to be unstable in some ways while ZFS has some licencing issues and technically is meant for BSD, but has been ported to Linux if I understand. Not sure if it has any impact on Manjaro at all, but Red Hat will be dropping btrfs from RHEL 8 as far as I know. Even if it doesnt directly impact others it could cause btrfs to die off slowly.

4 Likes

You don't even have a choice, as far as UEFI/fat32 is concerned. ? Do you not understand this?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_System_Partition
RTFM.

1 Like

You must using vfat (FAT32) for it:

The EFI System Partition (also called ESP or EFISYS) is a FAT32 formatted physical partition (in the main partition table of the disk, not under LVM or software RAID etc.) from where the UEFI firmware launches the UEFI bootloader and application.

Try forum search:
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/search?q=trim

Can't speak to UEFI because I still have a "hybrid" BIOS system that is legacy but supports GPT partitions.

As for trim, I have used ext2,3,4 for years and it is rock solid reliable and ext4 supports trim.

RHEL never officially adopted btrfs, it was only ever been included as a technology preview file system with RHEL 7 which they made clear in the documentation was to be used at the end user's own risk

I'd hope one distribution not adopting btrfs officially wouldn't lead to it being killed off but if others do follow like sheep...

Since recent Manjaro's Grub supports F2FS. I would give it a try.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/Documentation/filesystems/f2fs.txt

As other have said for the efi partition you must use fat32, but it isn't written to much if at all after you install, so that is not an issue.

As for your main partition, ext4 is rock solid and always a safe choice. If you are worried about space then btrfs should work well for you, and compression is done by default. (If your processor is slow you might not want to this route, because compression does add overhead.)

Btrfs also has the added safety of additional checksums to detect bit rot, probably not a concern unless you have terrabytes of data, even then there are arguments both ways.

So I would say, when in doubt ext4, if space is a concern then btrfs /w compression. The other available file systems have specific use cases they excel at so if you are trying to optimize for a specific situation you might want to go with those. But for general computing ext4 or btrfs.

just use ext4. for fstrim use systemctl and activate fstrim timer

ext4 with LVM could be also worth a look.
But I would agree with those who recommend just ext4, because it seems the only filesystem which doesn't require reading any documentation.

1 Like

If you are confused about filesystems, then definitely choose ext4. Other good choices for ssd are btrfs and f2fs, but don't touch them unless you know what you are doing.

Ext4 is the "basic" option, but the reason it is the standard is that it is really good.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by