What happened to Fsync being enabled on Manjaro Kernels?

I was told that Manjaro was enabling Fsync on it's kernels from now on, starting with 5.7.something.... Well, 5.8.0-1- MANJARO has no fsync support. What happened there? Did they remove it, or what?

The latest stable update announcement says fsync is included in linux57.

I don't remember reading "from now on". I just know they planned to do it with linux 5.7. I would be really happy if they did it for every kernel going forward though, so that I can use fsync more than esync.

I don't remember reading "from now on". I just know they planned to do it with linux 5.7. I would be really happy if they did it for every kernel going forward though, so that I can use fsync more than esync.

Yeah that's pretty lame if it was a one-off with linux57, since it's going EOL now. I know Manjaro supports EOL kernels longer than other distros, but still. linux57 is being replaced with linux58 and you'd think they'd be enabling fsync there too.

I don't know if I read "from now on" from any official Manjaro statements, but I know I read that "Manjaro is enabling fsync now" without any indication that it was only going to be on 57. Maybe they'll add it down the line for 5.8 since it hasn't hit stable branch yet (at least I don't think, I'm on unstable branch so idk).

The latest stable update announcement says fsync is included in linux57.

Yeah, I know. I'm asking about linux58, because I'm using Manjaro's 5.8 kernel and fsync is not enabled.

The answer is in that announcement. Manjaro isn't offering the release version of 5.8 kernel yet. Only release candidates. Adding a module to the mix could introduce another breaking point :man_shrugging:

No it's not. Not before 5.8 becomes 5.8.8, at least.

https://www.kernel.org/

5.8 = mainline
5.7 = stable
5.4 = LTS

5.7 won't go EOL for a while, maybe a couple months?

1 Like

5.8.0 is in the unstable branch.

That's actually a good point since the next stable branch snapshot should be soon™.

However, that's what the unstable & testing branches are for--testing things to see if they break before pushing to stable. :wink:

1 Like

5.5 went EOL like right after 5.6 went stable.

5.8 has it's first stable release, it's no longer in release-candidate phase.

Manjaro isn't offering the release version of 5.8 kernel yet. Only release candidates.

That's not true at all. I'm on 5.8.0-1-MANJARO. 5.8 went stable last Sunday. Manjaro Unstable Branch has 5.8.0 now (and no release candidates).

linux58

:slightly_smiling_face:

I can happily repeat it over and over until the last day!

And maybe something to think about!

Don't ask what Manjaro has to do for you, but what you can do for Manjaro.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by