What Manjaro does that Ubuntu don't!

So, I had gone back to Ubuntu MATE, my previous go-to, because, at the time, Aqualung (a must-have for me) wasn't buildable in Manjaro. It took about 15 times longer to compile it on a Debian system, but it did compile and run.

BUT: Setting up the printer, even with .deb driver files, was a big problem, and duplex printing was unavailable. No scanner program would recognize the scanner. The MATE Notification Area applet crashed, and other applets crashed as well.

It was announced that Aqualung was buildable on Manjaro once more, and I thankfully went back to Manjaro on my desktop.

The printer connected immediately with duplex enabled, and scanning works perfectly. All the applets loaded perfectly, and I don't get those Ubuntu apport error messages, either.

In other words, Manjaro does what Ubuntu don't!

1 Like

Good to hear that, indeed !

In my opinion, the best of Manjaro are Pamac and Manjaro Settings Manager.

Pamac is unique. The most complete and centralized way to get applications, doesn't matter where. You have access to: official repos, AUR, flatpak and snap, while on other distros like Ubuntu that "call themselves as easy", you need to manually go around the internet searching for a deb package, adding manually flatpak support through the terminal, search for ppas and also adding them through the terminal. They're trying to get rid of fragmentation, but still very fragmented. On the other hand, on Manjaro you have an application that have almost everything in just one place and you can easily disable flatpak and snap toggling a button, what's better than this? Pamac would be even better if it had AppImage implementation via AppImageHub, for example, then it would be fully complete.

Manjaro Settings Manager is another tool that makes a great differential for Manjaro, especially when compared to Arch where everything is manual. Manjaro Settings Manager gives you the possibility of installing/removing kernel or kernels, installing/removing drivers, auto-installation of free or nonfree drivers just clicking a button makes a real difference. It makes our life better and easy. Also, Manjaro Settings Manager comes with a way to install complex language packs for different application (a real problem for non-English speakers in other distros). Ubuntu, for example, one of the most famous distros, doesn't have such features, except the drivers and are not fully up-to-date and as easy as Manjaro implementation.

That's why I tend to recommend Manjaro for newbies instead of Ubuntu and Mint, because it's easier and it's getting better and better. Some people may be afraid of using rolling releases because of the bad stigma it has around the community as "it will break doesn't matter what you do". A lot of these thinkings comes from fixed releases/LTS users as they don't understand what is in fact a rolling release distro.

4 Likes

Manjaro respects your privacy (for the most part), Ubuntu don't.

3 Likes

This one seem more debatable. Arch linux is better at respecting your privacy. As I been noticing snapd been in more boot process. Even though there was a huge uproar about it last year.

I have no printing and crashing issues with Linux Mint. AFAIK, Mint does everything pretty much flawlessly. It goes to say that Mint is the most accessible distro for almost everyone, which is why it is so freaking popular.

4 Likes

Yes, snapd creates a lot of services during boot and after the boot. The services are mainly for each application installed and active and for its own services (for snapd to work). I noticed it makes boot slow, it's very noticeable on HDDs rather than SSDs, but the problem is there. It also uses more RAM and CPU.
When compared to flatpak, it shows how poorly done is snap and how it decreases performance and security of the system (it runs as root and by default updates in the background without user control). It also takes a good time for applications to open, that's the reason they stopped shipping the calculator, gnome-logs and gnome-system-monitor as snaps...

1 Like

What's your opinion about what Mint did with snaps?

1 Like

Clem made a smart decision to disable snaps in Linux Mint 20 because he saw it as a security and stability issue. The only caveat is that Chromium is difficult to install, but there are workarounds for that. I download the deb package for Chrome from Google's website anyway. For Manjaro, I installed it from the AUR package.

3 Likes

Yeah, that's the best thing about Linux Mint, having snapd disabled by default. A very sane default. I wish Manjaro did that, too.

I respect Mint devs for their courage to stick it to Canonical.

Of course, if you really want snaps, contrary to all reason, it's not that difficult to enable them on Mint, so that's okay, too, it's not like you're forbidden to use them, just discouraged. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I build my own manjaro iso's and it is easy to remove snaps from these.

1 Like

Yes, it only happened because of Canonical's fault. They changed the correct APT behavior and symliked APT to install snapd as it were the same thing and it is not.
A lot of people are complaining they've removed (Mint) the freedom of the user to install what they want, in this case, snapd, but they did it as way to preserve the freedom. If they didn't do it, snapd would be installed without user consent when using apt install chromium-browser or the store. On Linux Mint, you're able to choose what you want, which is different from Ubuntu that pushes snaps on everyone's throats in different ways. Linux Mint created a big documentation on how to enable snapd on their distro and how to install Chromium as deb. In my humble opinion, they did the right thing.

1 Like

I agree with you. They're being also very brave doing it.

Me too.
At least Manjaro has a toggle button for disable or enabling it on Pamac. I know the 3 official flavors comes with snapd preinstalled, same for flatpak. It's the only distro, except Zorin that comes with both installed.
It's good because it makes the way to get a package more accessible, but at same time, err... I don't like snap.
I think community version doesn't enable snap of flatpak, not sure though.

The good part is that they have a plan B if Ubuntu freak out and goes full snap, that is LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition). Most distros that are based on Ubuntu doesn't have a plan B like Mint does. That's a huge advantage for them.

1 Like

As far as I know the minimal and community flavors of Manjaro don't have snap or flatpak implemented. If I'm wrong, please, tell me. I've tested a bunch of them, but not all -- but it seems all of them are like this, so...

If you want to do a customized install of Ubuntu 20.04, it will pull down the whole goddamn Gnome desktop basically no matter what.

What possible use can Networkmanager have for friggin' Gnome wallpapers? It is just plain crazy.

1 Like

Well, at least Manjaro gives you the freedom to choose from almost every desktop environment. KDE is the most polished of all of them, but can be unstable at times. Cinnamon is the most well-balanced desktop environment out there and many people swear by it. I always stick with Cinnamon and KDE myself.

1 Like

I noticed Ubuntu to be really slow in the main version (with GNOME) when compared to Manjaro GNOME. I noticed a lot of useless services where enabled by default (over 100), many processes and applications installed.
There is something in the Ubuntu that makes it very laggy for me... Also, could be the snaps. I'm not sure.

Have you tested Budgie? It seems to be a good DE.

It would be obvious that Arch Linux is super-lightweight compared to Ubuntu, especially on KDE or XFCE and with no snaps. When you do a minimal install, you can easily tell the difference. Even with full-on KDE with its applications, it is easier on hardware than Kubuntu.

1 Like

Even Manjaro that is often called by Arch users as "bloated" and with snapd installed by default it was more fast than Ubuntu.
I haven't tested Ubuntu miminal install, but well... I still prefer Manjaro over Ubuntu.

Forum kindly sponsored by