What's the importance of Gaming for the adoption of the Linux Desktop?

Jason Evangelho has been a tech reviewer for Forbes for a long time. He ventured into the realm of Desktop Linux a few years back and is one of the most important international voices that brought attention on Linux to the masses. He is a big proponent of Linux Desktop adoption and tries to point out the good and the bad when it comes to the recent state of Linux.

Personally I think it's a typical "chicken and egg" problem when it comes to Linux and the ecosystem underpinned by the companies we are doomed to rely on, such as AMD and Nvidia. And we all know what problems Nvidia holds for us...

IMHO, Linux adoption on a bigger scale will only be viable with the growth and maturity of gaming under Linux. Why do I think that? We all started out playing with technology, be it games or the command line. Playing is an essential part of being a highly evolved mammal and the best way to learn, as you have fun while solving problems that you want solved. Unlike school where you are forced to solve boring stuff.

What are your thoughts on this?

2 Likes

If improving the gaming experience on Linux does help, i don't think it's that important for adoption by the masses because, generally speaking, gaming is not a main computer activity for most people.

4 Likes

That's why consumer desktop hardware has RGB all over it and is branded nearly exclusively for Gaming, nowadays?

1 Like

Bad analogy. There is no such "chicken and egg" problem. A chicken needs a mature rooster to fecundate the eggs, otherwise are sterile when the hen lay that egg. An egg can't be fecundated once the shell becomes hard, aka outside the chicken :slight_smile: - Short response: there where a chicken and a more mature rooster.

Back on topic. Gaming on linux is not worst only because of the drivers, but most games are written for Windows due to DirectX thing ... so, hardware is made mostly to handle that, etc.
Then there is the part where gamers mostly use PS family or Xbox ...

game is OVER
windows 95%
os X 4 %
Linux 0,89%

3 Likes

I'm surprised to see Mac OS at 4% because is terrible idea to try to play games on Mac ... Probably their old Chess board game is included ... muahahaha

Irrelevant : most people buying a computer prefer a pre-built, low tier one, because that's cheap and sufficient for them. Only people with specific needs, such as gamers, build their own with such hardware.

1 Like

I really hope gaming on Linux gets better. I hate having to maintain a second Windows boot drive for the sole purpose of gaming and VR.

3 Likes

Puh, I think this is a gross misinterpretation of consumer IT. Gaming is the driving force (and selling point) for manufacturers. That Linux is still limping behind is a very sad situation. Clearly, it is not that easy to solve this: Linux marketshares for single-user computers are still insignificant, therefore games and drivers are not being developed for Linux, hence most of Linux gaming is still the inferior process of Wine enabled gaming... which of course sucks. Yeah yeah, I know, Wine states that "some games even run faster". Well, no. They don't. I am not meaning to imply that Wine is not a brilliant piece of software, I would almost go as far as to say, one of the most important ones in Linux in general, but still, it is always "catching up", instead of being ahead of the game. Meaning: Native Linux Gaming.
At least Steam is kind of going in the right directon with their wine implementation. And gaming gets better in the last three years. But unless the Linux community acknowledges that gaming should be a top priority, the whole idea of "Linux for everyone" will not be achievable - imho.

3 Likes

And no, I can not agree with you, that this is correct. "Regular" users specifically do not buy, what suits their need. They buy the shiny toys that are advertised. Which is "the newest CPU", the "fastest Graphic Card". Offices buy office PCs, but not the single user. If that would be the case, nobody would drive fancy and illogical expensive cars.

3 Likes

I don't like this analogy either but it is what people understand. It is bad for another reason: Eggs have been on earth a few hundred million years before chicken-like creatures appeared on the planet, about 85 million years ago.

Vulkan is gaining momentum and will be the future for most Games.

That's where evilOS has the same opponent as Linux, so the same sort of problem.

I know the statistics, but what point do you want to make?

Indeed!

Computer games?

Yawn.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

1 Like

So late in the evening in Australia. No wonder you are tired....

2 Likes

Not me. I started out confused as hell why the 3.5" floppy i was desperately & increasingly frustratedly trying earnestly to force into its slot, in the 386 Compaq laptop i'd borrowed from the office for the night, to teach myself "computers", stubbornly refused all my entreaties. Eventually i discovered it worked slightly better if i tried not inserting it upside down & back to front. :woman_facepalming:

Aha, there's my out-clause, then.

3 Likes

Most people aren't regular computer users.
Many if not most regular users don't have heavy computing needs.
And i doubt many such latter users are willing to spend so much for building/upgrading their computer.

What you describe is a minority. My point stands.

Or, wait, i know this ... we could splice in some frog dna ... what could go wrong?

4 Likes

This survey conducted in the US a few years ago seems to indicate that 60% of households have at least one person who games regularly and of that, over 50% say the PC is their platform of choice.

I think the Linux community has a skewed vision of what the gaming world looks like because gaming on Linux has been historically non-existant. If you’re surrounded by Linux people, it looks like nobody games.

2 Likes

This was quite similar in my case, while installing Duke Nukem via fourteen 3,5" floppies from split .jar files.

Which means less than 60% of people game.

Which means, in the best case, 50% x 60% = 30% of people game.

Thanks for proving me right.

And 30 percent is an insignificant amount? :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by