Whatsapp web timestamp wrong

Hi there,
The time and time zone are set properly but whatsapp web time stamp shows up exactly 4 hours early.
Is there another setting for time somewhere?
Thanks

Thanks.
It seems to be a manjaro problem.
It's also happening in fb messenger.
And to make things more interesting, I see that gmail timestamp is also incorrect but it's 7 hours early instead of 4.
Time and date is set properly.

It may be but if you time-zone is wrong ...

Use timedatectl to get info on your current timezone settings

~ >>> timedatectl
               Local time: Wed 2019-05-29 10:35:34 CEST
           Universal time: Wed 2019-05-29 08:35:34 UTC
                 RTC time: Wed 2019-05-29 08:35:34
                Time zone: Europe/Copenhagen (CEST, +0200)
System clock synchronized: yes
              NTP service: active
          RTC in local TZ: no
1 Like

Thanks linux-aarhouse. At the moment I seem to have fixed the whatsapp, messenger timestamp problem by following the instructions in this link: https://www.howtogeek.com/323390/how-to-fix-windows-and-linux-showing-different-times-when-dual-booting/ which shows how to set the OS for the local time zone instead of UTC. However I noticed that the xfce panel clock was now off by 4 hours so I went into properties and erased the time zone I had written in before (Jerusalem, Israel). Now the panel clock is correct too.

However, using the timedatect1 command I get the following:
Screenshot_2019-05-29_13-56-42
which shows my time zone is still set for NYC! what's the best way to get this all correct? By the way I also just installed manjaro on old thinkpad amd didn't have this problem, Maybe I forgot to set the time properly when I did my installation? Thanks for your help.

grafik

$ man timedatectl

set-timezone
list-timezones
set-local-rtc

My guess is you are dual-booting windows/manjaro.

Windows defaults to setting the real-time-clock to local-time and Linux works with RTC in UTC.

The best approach to keep both working is to set your RTC (hardware clock) to UTC and enable a network-time-daemon on Linux.

1 Like

Thanks, but it would really help me if you could explain a little more. I think the problem started because it's a dual boot. I'm in Jerusalem and I want everything to work on Jerusalem time. Can you walk me through the steps? Much appreciated!

Thanks linux-aarhus! Yes it's a dual boot with windows. I ran the command
sudo systemctl enable --now systemd-timesyncd and it appears to do the trick. but when I run: ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Jerusalem /etc/localtime it says failed to create symbolic link permission denied for etc/localtime.

But I'm not worrying because it seems to be working so thanks! It's great that you're so responsive. I'm really liking Manjaro AND the community.

use sudo - I will add this to the command

Unfortunately I have no idea how to add an entry to the windows system registry, can you spell that out for me? You say: "

The easiest way is to create a file on your Windows system named e.g. utc.reg with the following content".

How exactly do I do that? I guess I need to use a registry editor? Is it safe?

It is all in the link.

No, Win10 is not safe, delete Win10 and use Linux, I preferred Manjaro :slight_smile:

linux-aarhus thanks so much for the incredibly helpful tutorial. I think for now I'll just leave windows with the wrong time rather than mess with the registry. Windows is just there as a dual boot in case my wife runs into problems with libreoffice compatibility on her work documents. Other than that we're sold on Manjaro, which by the way is running browsers faster, streaming videos better and generally being more efficient on our old Pentium desktop.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by