When I install Manjaro alongside Windows 10, should I mount /boot/efi at the existing efi parition?

I have a new laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled in a SSD with GPT partition table as following:
Screenshot%20at%202019-10-22%2021-21-11

The installer asks me to create a mount point /boot/efi with fat32 file system. So the question is:

Should I simply mount /boot/efi at the existing efi parition /dev/nvme0n1p1, or should I create another efi partition?

If I should mount /boot/efi to the existing efi parition, should I format it while installing?

BTW, can I delete the "Microsoft reserved partition"?

New to EFI and GPT. Thanks everybody!

If you want to stay out of trouble - my recommendation is

• don't mess with the Windows partition schema
  • create a separate efi partition for Manjaro

Guide

Another issue most likely to come around

Your system → Your data → Your choice → Your decision

Yes, mount the existing ESP. :slight_smile:

Not if you intend on keeping Microsoft Windows alongside of your Manjaro installation. The EFI system partition is used by the boot manager of your UEFI firmware.

Hmm... In theory, yes, but I have no idea what's in there because I don't use Windows.

It could be some proprietary branding thing, because at only 16 MiB, I don't think it could contain much useful stuff. Perhaps Microsoft's knowledge base can tell you what that partition is for? :thinking:

Better to leave it alone:

The System Reserved partition is essential if you want to use BitLocker drive encryption, which can’t function otherwise. Important boot files are also stored here by default, although you could store them on the main Windows partition if you preferred.

You can’t just delete the System Reserved partition, though. Because the boot loader files are stored on it, Windows won’t boot properly if you delete this partition.

What Is the System Reserved Partition and Can You Delete It?

1 Like

你好.

As you can see there are different opinions. The following can help you decide.

o If you use the same efi partition ($esp), and share it with Windows, some major windows updates may remove all other things, like linux bootloader files, making linux OS's unbootable. We can rescue it for sure, not that convenient though.
o You can have another $esp separate from windows. Best make that partition first before installing manjaro and use 'manual' installation to select it.
o If you reuse the same $esp, do not format that partition during installation or else your windows bootloader will be lost. And you cannot boot windows. We (I) don't know how to rescue windows boot.
o The "Microsoft reserved partition" may be used for rescuing windows when there are problems. It doesn't take up much space.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the reply. I appreciate your help a lot!

1 Like

hmm...I just faced same issue, during previous installation done few months ago with Manjaro KDE the grub was somehow installed in existing EFI partition created by Microsoft Windows 10 if I'm not mistaken...I didn't need to create additional EFI for Manjaro, that's why I am surprised...I installed Manjaro KDE previously on HDD and now installing on SDD but I doubt this makes difference for the installator

You don't have to create a separate EFI for Manjaro. You can use the existing one from Windows as the location of the installation of Manjaro's grub. However, since there have been cases when updates/upgrades of Windows have overwritten Grub, therefore Installing it on it's own partition will eliminate this risk.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by