Where can the transparency of the KDE Panel be set?

Maybe someone else understands ... but I am confused...
What is the issue, what are you trying to achieve?

I just commented that there is an easier way to make the panel transparent (just the panel). Although I am not sure if it will work for everyone (btw still new to linux)

I was looking into this too, and I found that only after disabling Background contrast in the Desktop Effects settings could I enforce transparency in my panel by adjusting it in the widget section.

hi cscs,
Could you provide more detailed steps of how to edit this svg[z] file? I have tried to make those 3 elements in the same order as yours and set the middle one's color to what is in your screenshot, however my panel is still not transparent.

This is a great way to do this. It has no downsides other than the time it takes. Be sure you back up any files you are working on in their original form before you start to get to crazy. I always save them the same way, as xxxxxx_original.svgz, before I start working. Can easily do that once you are in Inkscape later. You can also easily find the path to all the files you work on in Inkscape. Once you know that, you can go to the files directly rather than having to use System Settings to get there.

Anyway, go too Settings then Plasma Style. Hover over your cursor over the bottom right side of any style or the style you want to edit. Click on the "Edit Theme" icon.

Screenshot_20200111_115007

I have a customized theme I developed to go more into the weeds about this and other stuff, but you don't have to go that far if all you want to do is work on transparency.

Once you are in the Plasma Themes Explorer, scroll down. Click on each box till you get to panel background. You shouldn't have to scroll far.

Screenshot_20200111_115942

When you find it, click on "Open in Editor." I use Inkscape for this stuff.

Screenshot_20200111_120425

The elements on the left are the ones that affect my panel background.

Click on the element you want to play with.

On the almost far right are a bunch of icons that send you to different editing screens.

All this is in Inkscape, so for you it may be different.

There is one that gets you to editing colors, gradients, fill and stroke properties. The icon looks like a tilted paint bucket.

Screenshot_20200111_121730

Once you get here you can muck around with transparency all you want. This will take some experimenting, and will depend a bit on the theme you are working in. To test what you are doing, save your work, unload and reload your theme and see what happens.

Screenshot_20200111_122222

I ended up getting quite a nice effect, I think.

I also went in and did some work on all my boring white system tray and application menu icons. That is a story for another day.

Good luck.

3 Likes

To adjust your panel transpareny go to /home/you/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/yourtheme/widgets/panel-background.svgz and adjust as I described above.

To adjust application menu transparency, go to /home/you/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/yourtheme/dialogs/background.svgz and adjust as described above. This adjustment affects the application menu and all the dialogs that pop up off the panel from the system tray and other things.

These two files give you complete control of your panel and menu's transparency without dimming other things like system tray icons. Sometimes one or the other of those files won't be in the theme you are working one. You can go to other themes to find a file and just bring it on over and customize it however you want. If you want, you can make your own file. There is a lot of info here at [https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma5/ThemeDetails] that will help with that.

If you want to play with the colors of the application menu and panel, go to /home/you/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/yourtheme/colors. In that file go to [Colors:Window] and play with those colors. BackgroundNormal will colorize the panel, menu, and dialog backgrounds.

Enjoy

1 Like

Sorry - i couldn't see how to go from 'Plasma Style' in settings and 'Plasma Explorer'...

1 Like

You can try using this applet available on the kde store. https://store.kde.org/p/1338479/

2 Likes

This worked (in 2020)

Forum kindly sponsored by