Why I switched to Manjaro from Windows.

Hi there. This is my story of why I switched from Windows to Manjaro.
So many people asked me "Why aren't you using Windows? It has the majority of applications which Linux doesn't have. It has a lot features too!" and to answer this, I would like to tell why Windows sucks (my opinion):

1. Privacy: Windows is always tracking you, from which apps you open, to logging your browsing history, etc. I read that Windows tracks you in 534 ways as explained here.
    Now, some of you may say, you can disable this, remove that but it's too much of a hassle and it's very time consuming. Especially after Windows gets updated, everything is reset.

2. Useless apps: Windows has so many useless apps which cannot be uninstalled except when using Powershell commands or scripts but again it's very time consuming and that's why Linux stands at the top in terms of customization.

3. Too much hardware usage: With Windows tracking you, running useless apps and services running in the background, the idle RAM usage on my system was usually 3 GB and CPU usage was almost 30%. For users with low spec systems, Windows isn't a great choice.

4. Windows is not open-sourced: So you never know what may be running on your system and collecting your data, tracking you, etc.

5. Forced updates: Windows 10 literally forces you to install an update (which are downloaded automatically) and most people hate this.
    There are some scripts and apps to block Windows updates, and you can pause a Windows update for 35 days but there is no selective downloading and installing of updates which is really annoying.

So, that's all I wanted to say about why I switched from Windows to Linux. Big thanks to the developers for this amazing OS!

7 Likes

Nice rundown.

For sure, there's a culture shock in store - you have to live without photoshop and learn lots of different software do what you want to do... but it's worth it.

I haven't scanned for a virus, or any other malware, since 2007... but I do run Windows 7 in a virtualbox sometimes so I can run iTunes to do stuff with my phone (mostly update/replace the music).

3 Likes

Some of the reasons I switched over to Linux, actually.

And, now, 3 years later, I'm still a "newbie" but managing to work things out when there's a niggle. Windows and Linux are quite dissimilar.

Your reason #5 was my number one reason for switching over on my own personal machine. I sit down to try and get something sorted. 4/5 times it goes OK, just mild inconvenience. 1/5 times something important breaks and my evening is now taken up with fixing that...

Its not just that .. the OS is flawed. Everything down to their filesystem structure is inefficient.

Just so you know .. while manjaro wont 'force' you to update .. it is a rolling release .. so you should, we dont do 'partial upgrades', and at some point you will have to update if only for security purposes, or just to run latest Chrome, etc.

3 Likes

De-fragmentation intensifies.

1 Like

Very different, I quit using Vista. I installed Windows 10 to a virtualbox and the process was very stressful - it looks like you must sign in with a valid Microsoft account before you can even use it...

So many things you need to get searching for solutions to work around... it's ridiculous... and all those 'single point failure' features - love the registry to bits.

I think Linux is a bit of a rough ride sometimes because of the development. Windows gets crazy because of the legacy... they can't change the system, they should simply break off a new company and start fresh with all their expertise!

2 Likes

Vista was...well...hideous and Windows 10 the one that threw me over the edge basically.

Updates took forever(when there were no problems...and there were), and I realized all too late that my PC no longer belonged to me...and, yet, I certainly dished out the lolly for it!

Having a purpose built PC with what I really wanted in terms of components installed, and the first time I installed Linux Mint seemed literally like a jailbreak and no kidding!

1 Like

That's what I love about Linux, users are free to update or not according to their choice, unlike Windows which automatically downloads and installs updates and breaks 5 things and then you end up rolling back

1 Like

With Windows, it's not so much the updates, it's the 'Getting your computer ready for you to use, don't turn it off, don't go to bed, you can't start work yet, just sit there and watch the spinny dots on screen' that drives you batty.

3 Likes

I think I heard somewhere that if you cut your internet connection before installation, Windows just want a "personal account". The option is not given if there is an internet connection available.

Just for correctness sake I need to say: You can use Windows 10 without an online account, without resorting to hacks like disconnecting internet. You can skip the login/sign-up step at install. The option is not obvious, but it's there.

3 Likes

Thanks! Didn't know it.

Even if you skip it, Windows will insist once or twice again afterwards, but it can be bypassed each time. It used to be you can not use the Windows store to download apps without being logged in with a microsoft account, but if I remember right it's been changed in the last versions, maybe as a court ruling.

1 Like

Microsoft is just so annoying! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That IS the point. Deliberate deceptions, the truth is always hidden.

2 Likes

Well I guess that's to be expected when there is an agenda. I mean Microsoft and Apple and Google (with Android) are for-profit companies. They will not do what's best for you, but what's best for their profit.
I mean Windows 8 has started with pushing stupid games preinstalled to their users (there was solitaire and minesweeper in previous versions, but with Windows 8 this has gone to another level with stupid stuff like Candy Crush and non-removable X-box app), the same way Android did. It's like a conspiracy to hook up people to play games. This ensures more transactions in their app stores thus more cash, it does not matter that they needed to create a bad time destroying habit for their users in the process.

Does anyone have experience installing, say, a basic image editor or a simple torrent client on Apple or Google whilst having to search internet for warnings about where and how to click and disable all the backdoor downloads?

Canonical still has much to learn.

True. You might have the time to make & drink a coffee with a major update on Manjaro - but that isn't guaranteed - on Windows 10 it was more or less a case of "Oh crap! Let's pull out a DVD while I'm waiting...!" :rofl:

And in my case, Windows 10 was preinstalled on my system so no DVD was given or bootable USB was ever made and after a major Windows update, the whole operating became unresponsive and the explorer process stopped working and finally a black screen. I had to spend about 5 hours arranging for another PC to make a bootable USB and setting up everything again. After that I always kept a bootable Windows 10 USB.

Forum kindly sponsored by