Why is Manjaro Kde too slow and buggy?!

You can find many a post of me stating 'kill the bear' or similar ..
but a number of recent installs have convinced me that its actually not an issue. I just waited a little bit. probably a lot less waiting when it is 128g on an ssd than other scenarios ..

1 Like

No i mean it takes hours everytime i boot?!

No it scans the files once (and periodically) and creates index of those files, or you can disable it and when you will search it will take longer and cpu will spike.

1 Like

Thank you all
So i have to wait until it finishes:)

Every modern system has it, even iOS it is always better to let it sit overnight I do not know how linux handle it I guess brute force to make it as soon as possible.

1 Like

Yes, if it never finishes it will keep trying whenever you restart. Just let it finish.

1 Like

I do not use KDE but I did search it for you.
https://community.kde.org/Baloo

2 Likes

Thank you so much:)

Oh thank you so much for helping:)

2 Likes

Plenty of us have had baloo not stop indexing and eating up a huge amount of memory continuously. I have had this install of Manjaro in for at least 3 months, so no it is not just a fresh install issue. For some of us there is a bug in baloo.

well .. if OP stops rebooting for an hour or two .. maybe we will se if it is the same.
I was not actually aware of a 'baloo bug' besides misunderstandings ..

2 Likes

You can't expect that the indexing and startup to be as fast as on a SSD. I don't know about issues with baloo. I never had problems with it as i let it finish doing what is suppose to do.

2 Likes

There are certainly some number of people who have trouble with baloo. Especially people with a large number of files.

However, everyone will have trouble with it if they don't let the initial index finish. Before trying to troubleshoot it further or trying more extreme measures, the key is to let the initial index finish so it doesn't keep starting over.

2 Likes

Screenshot_20200309_190254

Just a question. It's stuck in this state. What should I do?

That is not the issue some of us had. The issue was for us that long after Baloo had finished indexing Baloo was still eating tons of memory and slowing down the system for some users. As I stated I have had this install of Manjaro in for at least 3 months and even on initial install and landing on the desktop for the first time Baloo did not use the amount of resources that it was the other day. Now this may not be the OP's issue, but it most definitely is worth mentioning cause it could easily be the issue.

1 Like

Hey one web page that really helped me. I link it here so that others can take advantage of it :slight_smile:
kde-krunner-and-baloo

3 Likes

VERY Nice, first post with solution bookmarked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by