Why was Atheros QCA9377 dropped from Firmware?

I was running the latest 4.14 kernel provided by Manjaro. Never needed to bump it up to another version. I was on Manjaro 18.0.1. I kept having to load a firmware file from here: https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20180825.fea76a0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz following the instructions I found here: [Solved] Oct 2018 updates caused wireless connection problem with QCA9377 network adaptor.

My question would be why have they dropped support from this card for the firmware? I tried the most recent december firmware and the same problem which is no detection of my wi-fi card. I have temporarily gone to Ubuntu 18.04.1 as I found it very annoying to always need to load this older firmware. However I still prefer Manjaro and would like to see this problem remedied.

Does anyone know of a bug report somewhere for this? Or why this happened to begin with?

The reason is because the older kernels are incompatible with the newer firmware. If you install kernel 4.19 you should not have to mess with the firmware again (once you update to the version 6 firmware).

1 Like

thanks so much for the quick reply. I will have to make that happen!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by