WiFi disconnecting, how can I reset interfaces and network settings?

I installed a full KDE system using Architect and linux-latest kernel. I didn't know about the bug with NetworkManager being disabled by default, so I did sudo ip link set wlp3s0 upand I may have set a static IP address too, which did not make the network function. Then I realized NetworkManager.service wasn't running, so I enabled and started it and everything worked. But now I realize that after a few minutes or a few hours, WiFi disconnects and I have to reboot in order for WiFi to work again. I've reinstalled networkmanager, but that didn't fix it. Is there anything I can delete or reset to fix this problem? If I set a static IP earlier, maybe that is causing problems, and I can delete it somehow?

Also, I use NordVPN from the nordvpn-bin package in AUR -- maybe this is somehow related?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

EDIT: The current WiFi connection gets its IP address from DHCP.
EDIT 2: The WiFi applet in the tray says "WiFi connected to MyWifi (limited connectivity)" -- I don't know if this is related, and I don't know why it says this. My connection seems fine when I check with wavemon, and I have no problem reaching any websites.

Hi!

It's a bug in older versions of plasma 5.18.3/4 related to network-manager, but usually nothing is wrong, check the speed of your network, just in case.

To restart network-manager without restart the system, try this
sudo service network-manager restart

To use static ip i would recommend you to set it on the router.

I had some disconnections using vpn too, it was the vpn server, when it overloaded automatically changed the server and my system didn't felt so well about it, sudo service network-manager restart usually fixed it.

That might work on Ubuntu, but not in an Arch based OS.

Sorry I'm currently travelling and only using a cell, so helping you troubleshoot your connection is not exactly that easy.

What I can do is share a service I wrote that will automatically restart your network connection without requiring you to restart your computer. Not a fix, but an adequate workaround for many people who have successfully tested it.

Please post:

inxi -Fxxxza
1 Like

you right!! I mixed that up!
systemctl restart network-manager?

Thanks!

Arch uses:

systemctl restart NetworkManager
1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

Thanks @tbg and @visone . I restarted NetworkManager, and I haven't been disconnected yet. I will open a different thread about NordVPN problems. If the problem resurfaces, I'll post the output you mentioned.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by