WiFi Issues - MacBookPro BCM4322

Hi all,

I've been scouring the forum for about 2 days now and read so many solutions that my neck is already hurting. I have rebooted and ran live from usb, reinstalled, etc. done most of what I have read.

I know the WiFi card works because I was able to connect to the internet flawlessly with OSX. I have since not done a complete install of Manjaro.

Can anyone offer me a bit of their time and expertise?

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and I do not want to touch anything else unless I have someone to guide me because the last time I tried, I had to Re-install because I couldn't get past the boot screen. Good thing I have another computer I can use to stay on the forum and troubleshoot, otherwise I would have been in some trouble.

What do you need from me, to get started?

Thank you, very much, in advance.

Hi! Thank you for the reply and references.
I have one more tiny problem that has been happening which makes closing the lid or suspend a bit difficult... my screen stays off. I can hear the HD running, but when I press on any keys or try closing and opening the lid, nothing happens, so at that point I have to hold down the power button to reboot.

Test as many different kernels as you can.

I have downloaded the LTS before the current LTS kernel (5.4)
But I don't know how to test/boot them.

I have 3.1-5.4 installed

Reboot and press the ESC key to get to the grub advanced boot menu.

Ok. I will do that.

I'll post results after booting. I'll run through all the kernels before posting to make sure.

Thanks for your help, by the way!

1 Like

You're welcome, but you may have no luck as Apple's Broadcom wifi devices are perennial problems with Linux.

Yeah I've been looking at everyone's posts relating to the issue and even though I'm hopeful, I'm not creating expectations. :sweat_smile:

I'll be back in a few.

You may want to try installing Connman and IWD.

See my tutorial below:

I will absolutely try that.

Which type of kernels should I booting?

The initramfs, or normal?

And should I keep trying the reboots with the new kernels before, or after following your tutorial?

Boot the normal one, but it also won't hurt to try the fallback kernel either. I would test every kernel including the RT kernels from 5.7 back to 4.4.

Have you tested the broadcom-wl-dkms driver yet?

I believe I did. Is there any way I can check?

Should I install Connman and IWD before trying the rest of the kernels out? Would it help?

I would install and test the kernels first. Best to do things methodically rather than scattershot. Work through one troubleshooting process before testing another.

Be sure to check your suspend capability on each kernel.

Will do. I’ll go down the list. I’m installing all kernels 3.1-5.7 to be thorough.

So I went back and rebooted from 3.1. Because it got stuck on a blank black screen. After a bit I turned off the machine and booted from 4.4. It’s now stuck at the load screen with the following fails:

Failed to start load kernel modules

Failed to mount /boot/efi

Dependency failed for local file systems.

You are now in emergency mode... asks me for the root password for maintenance and I typed it in. But now it’s waiting for me to give it a command. I don’t know what to do and I don’t want to mess anything up. ? :hushed:

Forum kindly sponsored by