WiFi Issues - MacBookPro BCM4322

You're welcome, but you may have no luck as Apple's Broadcom wifi devices are perennial problems with Linux.

Yeah I've been looking at everyone's posts relating to the issue and even though I'm hopeful, I'm not creating expectations. :sweat_smile:

I'll be back in a few.

You may want to try installing Connman and IWD.

See my tutorial below:

I will absolutely try that.

Which type of kernels should I booting?

The initramfs, or normal?

And should I keep trying the reboots with the new kernels before, or after following your tutorial?

Boot the normal one, but it also won't hurt to try the fallback kernel either. I would test every kernel including the RT kernels from 5.7 back to 4.4.

Have you tested the broadcom-wl-dkms driver yet?

I believe I did. Is there any way I can check?

Should I install Connman and IWD before trying the rest of the kernels out? Would it help?

I would install and test the kernels first. Best to do things methodically rather than scattershot. Work through one troubleshooting process before testing another.

Be sure to check your suspend capability on each kernel.

Will do. I’ll go down the list. I’m installing all kernels 3.1-5.7 to be thorough.

So I went back and rebooted from 3.1. Because it got stuck on a blank black screen. After a bit I turned off the machine and booted from 4.4. It’s now stuck at the load screen with the following fails:

Failed to start load kernel modules

Failed to mount /boot/efi

Dependency failed for local file systems.

You are now in emergency mode... asks me for the root password for maintenance and I typed it in. But now it’s waiting for me to give it a command. I don’t know what to do and I don’t want to mess anything up. ? :hushed:

Simply restart and load a newer kernel at boot.

Last kernel is booting up. 4.9 through 4.19 were the only kernels to wake from suspension and none had WiFi activation.

I’m running on 5.7 as we speak.

Should I get started on this now?

I got through, until the WiFi part. Under wireless services; Technologies: it says that it has found 0 and 0 powered

I would stick to using a kernel that suspension works with. If your hardware is older you do not need the most recent kernel. I think you will make more progress starting off using a kernel that has proper support for suspension with your hardware..

Follow this guide I wrote to install the wl driver:

You may be better off starting with a fresh install of Manjaro.

I am now on kernel 4.19. Suspension works and WiFi is up and running! After suspension only, but hey, that's way better than no WiFi. And its a steady connection too.

Along with changing the network manager like you said, I followed the instructions on a post that you had also helped out with:

My very last step before suspending and then rebooting to see if it sticks, was:

sudo pacman -S dkms

After that, I also uninstalled all kernels newer than 4.19, to prevent the machine from booting into an incompatible kernel.

Would you like me to post any info regarding my current system information? Maybe some of it could help future issues for others?

See, I told ya.

Fancy figuring out that complex solution all by your lonesome.

Feel free to post:

inxi -Fxxxza

I have a pretty good idea what hardware you are using, (but others may not).

Apple products with Broadcom adapters are just a royal pain in Linux.

Glad you got it working (mostly).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by