Wifi needs long to connect after reboot/standby

Hi there,

I've installed Manjaro on my Macbook air and have some wifi issues. It takes ages to connect (sometimes it's slower, somtimes faster than usual) and I will get spammed with those messages
"Connection my_wifi deactivated"
"The wifi network could not be found"
After a while it connects and I have no issues. Additionally (I don't know if that's usual), it disconnects from wifi if I go in standby.

2: wlp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 84:38:35:56:3b:22 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)
Subsystem: Apple Inc. BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
Kernel driver in use: wl
Kernel modules: bcma, wl

So the driver seems to be correct? I looked in the arch wiki and debian wiki for possible issues, but I'm not sure about them.

The first one was disconnecting the power managment, I did that with $ sudo iw dev wlp3s0 set power_save off

On the arch linux wiki they said, the driver has issues connecting to 5GHZ on High Channels https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless#Troubleshooting
But it's not my wifi and in general the solution to just switch them off on your router, seems not to be an option ... because I can only control that in my own wifi.

Any other ideas?

Take a look over these. Hopefully there's a solution in there. There are tons of posts about Macs and those wifi adapters. :disappointed:

Well the thing is that they both have different wifi issues. My wifi actually works! It just needs to long to connect to it.
So (and as I pointed out) it's quite unlikely that the driver is completely wrong? It seems to be more like kinda a wrong config?

I had this problem ages ago and the above fixed it for me.

1 Like

Hey, thanks! Although my problem is different, the solution worked for me!
To be more concrete, actually only one step of those is enough for this problem, which is
"Allow all users to connect to the network" or you have to add the dynamic user haveged to the allowed users, which is a program needed for booting on macs, if you don't want to allow it for everyone. That has done the trick for me!

Yes, that was what I meant, it solved the long connection problem after suspend/reboot.

I picked @tbg's post because I was logged into gnome and couldn't log into KDE to describe the method as I was in the middle of something :smiley:

I was probably to fast with saying that it's solved ... it works like a charm after reboot, but when my computer is in standby and disconnects from the wifi, it needs ages to reconnect ... and says "configuring interface". Sometimes it's faster, sometimes slower ... this time there are no error messages

If you run:

sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

when the problem occurs - does it help, because if it does, a systemd unit may help.

No it doesn't help, in fact wifi networks are listed twice after that command (or three times, if you run it again).
The problem also occurs if I just disconnect from the wifi and try to reconnect. A reboot helps.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by