wifi no longer recognized

When typing: wifi in shell, it returns "no device". Is this a hardware issue ?

2 Likes

I can't help you with the command "wifi", as I don't have that and don't know what it's supposed to do.

However, if you have lost your wi-fi connection, I can try to help.

First of all; proper information, like @Kadee asked for would certainly help :point_up:

Also try the command ip link, and look for your wireless adapter - most likely it's named something starting with "wl", mine is "wlp16s0".

In the text following the wireless adapter name you'll see either "state UP" or "state DOWN".

If the state is UP, ou should be good.
If it's DOWN try the command: sudo ip link set <adapter name> up

If that fails then try the command rfkill list and see if your wireless adapter is hard- or soft-blocked.

If it's soft-blocked try the command: rfkill unblock <adapter name>

If it's hard-blocked, you probably have a switch somewhere, to turn on or off wifi (and bluetooth), for use in airplanes and what not. If so, switch it back on :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ferdinand it returns:

wifi      = on

New to me and I already suspected my wifi was "on" :smiley:

ip link: //no sign of wl*
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 28:d2:44:71:11:46 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: docker0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default
link/ether 02:42:3d:6f:d2:9d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: br-c6f1c88850ee: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default
link/ether 02:42:4e:af:74:93 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: br-30eb6210cffc: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default
link/ether 02:42:6c:17:49:58 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Could it be a harware issue ? PS: my Lenovo is one year old...

1: is the loopback interface
2: is a wired network card
3: is something related to docker I guess
4&5: i don't know, but it doesn't look like wifi to me :thinking:

I'm getting a little out of my depth, but try lspci -kv - it should give a lot of info, but more or less readable. See if you can see your wireless adapter in there?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by