Win10 seems to be cause drive issues, and no output during boot

Hi guys !

I've been a Manjaro convert for a little over a year, and I love it. I convinced a few people around to get onboard as well, it truly is the most amazing distro available right now.

I dual boot on Windows, mostly for some picky games that don't run well on Proton, but I usually don't have the time for gaming and I can't remember the last time I used it ... until last night, when, after a 250+ hours long work streak (SANS course + Django project for work), I felt like my head was about to burst and decided to take some time off. I booted Windows 10 for the first time in forever, and played video games for 4 hours straight.

This morning, I start the computer, go make coffee, and come back to a black screen. No can work. Panic mode engaged. Did Win10 screw up my dual boot?

I start with the usual, live USB, chroot, repair Grub, everything looks fine, all my files are there, decrease DEFCON level, but still no boot.

I stumble for a couple hours, and finally realize that the problem was fsck during boot (trimmed /etc/fstab/, disabled fsck for non essential partitions, all fine for now).

That is the first part of the problem: why did a boot of Win10 triggered fsck?

My second issue is the black screen. I get no output at all during Manjaro boot process. This has been going on for a while, but didn't matter that much to me before.

I'm running a dual CG setup, with, I assume, proprietary NVidia drivers, and, during the boot process, my screen is blank. I can see a few lines of the usual boot log for a split seconds, then black screen for about 5 seconds, then login screen of Gnome.

That black screen issue prevented me from troubleshooting the fsck issue more rapidly, and, now, I'd like to fix it.

Do you guys know what could cause it? I spent the rest of my morning looking for the cause, but I'm getting nowhere, and I've had enough of looking at my computer re-booting for 90% of the time while troubleshooting on my phone, so I cowardly come to the forums for assistance...

EDIT: I'm not providing any more info because I have no clue what you'd need to help me troubleshooting, let me know if there's anything!

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Unable to say with the information you've provided. Please read this... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. No (see above), but the solution is to:

• sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    • remove quiet from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
    • Ctrl+X
    • Enter Y

:innocent:

Hi Fabby!

Thanks for your reply.

There's nothing of interest in the log, the culprit is Windows 10 somehow messing up the drives integrity, and I was wondering if this was a known issue. I wasn't able to find anything online about it, but I'll keep digging.

As for GRUB, I already got rid of the quiet option, which leads me to believe the issue might be related to my graphical drivers. I'm running 6 screens on two EVGA cards (670 & 1070). During the boot of the Manjaro Live USB, everything works fine and I can see the output. but during the boot of my own install, nada.

1 Like

Nah: hybrid hibernate or blue screens cause other symptoms than yours, so I would classify it under "Cosmic Ray Error" (I.E. a fluke...)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by