Windows 10 & Manjaro Dual Boot Partition Scheme.

Hello guys. I got a new laptop finally. It came with no OS. I ordered a 1 TB SSD which will arrive in a few days hopefully. My new laptop uses UEFI instead of BIOS, and I have never used UEFI before.

My previous partition scheme on my BIOS laptop was:

1. sda1 ntfs partition for Windows 10.
  2. sda2 ntfs partition for Data.
  3. sda3 ext4 partition for Manjaro /root.
  4. sda4 ext4 partition for Manjaro /home.
  5. sda5 swap partition.

I would like to keep the same partition scheme on my new hard disk but I have some questions. What I am planning to do when my new SSD arrives:

1. Plug in the new SSD on my laptop.
  2. Disable Legacy and Secure Boot from UEFI.
  3. Use a GParted live usb stick to boot to GParted.
  4. Create a GPT partition table.
  5. Create a 512 MB FAT32 EFI partition for Windows.
  6. Create 2 ntfs partitions for Windows 10 and data.
  7. Plug in a USB with Windows 10 and install Windows 10.
  8. Boot to Windows 10 and disable Fast Startup.
  9. Plug in a USB with Manjaro and boot in it.
  10. Reach the "Manual partitioning" step.
  11. Create a 512 MB FAT32 EFI partition for Manjaro with the mountpoint "/boot/efi" and flags "boot" and "esp".
  12. Create 2 ext4 partitions for root and home with mountpoints "/" and "/home".
  13. Create swap partition with the flag "swap".
  14. Install Manjaro.
  15. Put "sudo efibootmgr" on the terminal to verify there is a Manjaro entry.
  16. Reboot.

Is this process correct? Is creating a 2nd EFI partition for Manjaro necessary? I stepped into many articles stating there shouldn't be 2 EFI partitions on the same hard disk or that you could use Windows EFI partition.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

There is no problem having two partitions using the $esp ef00 identifier.

Only one is active at any time. Namely the one marked with the boot flag.

The benefit of having a designated $esp for Manjaro - or any other for that matter - is the fact that other systems does not alter them and thus making an entry missing or unbootable.

One approach is described in this forum topic

1 Like

This may be a good idea, then after booting to Windows, Windows will not modify the boot order saved in NVRAM?:thinking:

Partition Scheme on mine is:

Install Windows 10 via EFI boot. It should automatically create 3 partitions. 1 Boot Partition, 1 System Reserve, 1 Windows Main (actually there might be 1 more but I don't remember). It should all populate in the install partitioning screen. Afterwards ->

Boot into Manjaro ISO, select the Windows boot partition, and mount it to /boot/EFI (DO NOT WIPE). Make a partition to mount /, and any others if you want. Install Manjaro. I don't make a partition for swap. I just use a swapfile.

• Boot Partition (For Windows & Manjaro, /boot/EFI)
  • Windows System Reserve Partition
  • Windows Main Partition
  • Manjaro Main Parition (/)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by