Windows Manjaro common file area

I installed Manjaro on an old laptop to dual boot with Windows, no problem. But my Windows documents and work files are kept separate from my Manjaro documents and files. I know I can navigate to the Windows partition with Thunar, but that's not quite the same.

Is is possible to install Manjaro so that it uses the same file system/area to store documents as Windows? After all, I usually want to work on the same documents.

I am about to install Manjaro on a new (to me) laptop, and it would be nice if I could keep all my files in one place or file structure that is easily accessible to both Windows and Manjaro.

I realise that this might not be possible or make any sense. Knowing why that was would also help my understanding.

Thanks!

Just create a link in your home directory to documents in windows.

Better yet symlink the Windows folder directly into Manjaro's trash can. JK :smile:

4 Likes

It is possible - to a degree - that is.

I have a structure where I keep all my documents etc. on another partition and I have scripts to setup the structure after a reinstall, but that is a Linux structure with file systems native to Linux.

A setup with a NTFS formatted partition requires special considerations. You need to disable Windows features like hibernation and fast boot as those will interfere with your ability to make changes to an ntfs partition.

A section of this tutorial describe how you disable those pesky Windows features.

You can read this tutorial on symlinking folders in your home to another partition/folder and see if it makes any sense to you,

Yeah, I did that. I have an ntfs partition and I just have most of my home folders there symlinked to home so both Manjaro and Windows can access it.

However, it has some cost:

• ntfs don't have permission file system abilities so ntfs parition by default belongs to root and has 777 permisions
  • you can change in fstab to mount the partition as the user, but it still will have all permissions open
  • ntfs is sometimes prone to errors, unlike ext4
  • ntfs needs to be mounted in windows occasionally to defragment it
  • ntfs is a bit slower then ext4 in Linux

Other than that it works.

I'm planning, however, to install something in Windows to access ext4 partitions and reformat that ntfs into ext4. It has more sense to do that, because I boot into Windows once for a few months. If you however use Windows regularly, ntfs may be a better solution but as you see, not a perfect one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by