Windows nuked my EFI partition

Fair enough. I'd shrink down that last ntfs partition on the nvme drive by a few hundred mb and turn it into a second ESP to use for Manjaro. How to do that step by step I can't tell you because I haven't done it before.

(or don't and just fix your boot every 6 months)

EFI PARTITION
Select the unpartitioned space → Create
a. Size → input 512
b. Filesystem → select FAT32
c. Mountpoint → select /boot/efi
d. Flags → check boot and espOK

The above is point 6 from the instructions you have linked to. Did you perform the step c for the Manjaro's bootloader to get installed to its own ESP?

Yes, I did.

But why? @MSS has got already two Fat32 partitions on the nvme disk. One for Windows and one for Manjaro. Perhaps re-installing the bootloader could resolve the issue:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

I'm skeptical :smile:

It would have detected that there was already an EFI partition if you was installing Manjaro after Windows and asked if you wanted to use it.

I'm curious about that EFI partition on your storage drive though, did that disk originally have Windows on it? It must have had an OS on it at some point if you created an ESP for it. You said before, sorry it's like 3 am.

I'm under the impression that both OS's are using the ESP on the second disk, and that the ESP on sda is just a relic from past adventures. Maybe install grub on the ESP on sda if it isn't being used for anything else?

Oh so there are two on the nvme disk, now I'm well and truly confused. See earlier point about it being 3am.

Yes, the drive once had Win10 on it. The EFI partition is completely unused. I'm unsure of what you're saying-Do you mean go forward with fixing the bootloader in instructionset one (Using livecd v17.0.1 (and above) as grub to boot OS with broken bootloader)? Or go by instructionset two, (https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader)?

Don't worry about it. Ask what you need, and I'll try my best to provide.

They got two ESPs on the second disk, partition 1 and partition 5. I thought perhaps partition 5 could be a good candidate for installing Manjaro's bootloader.

Model: Micron_2200V_MTFDHBA512TCK (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  274MB  273MB   fat32           EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      274MB   290MB  16.8MB                  Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      290MB   354GB  354GB   ntfs            Basic data partition          msftdata
 5      354GB   355GB  538MB   fat32                                         boot, esp
 6      355GB   388GB  33.6GB  linux-swap(v1)                                swap
 7      388GB   455GB  67.1GB  ext4
 8      455GB   511GB  56.1GB  ext4
 4      511GB   512GB  682MB   ntfs            Basic data partition          hidden, diag

Both of those links contain instructions for reinstalling the bootloader, they're just written by different people (or possibly not)

Yes, I see that now and I agree.

So to conclude, we suggest that OP go ahead and reinstall grub on nvme5?

1 Like

Partition 5 is the EFI made when I installed Manjaro originally. GRUB, if my understanding is correct, would have already been installed there. I would prefer to not have any system-critical components on sda, as a note. So go forward with the replacement reinstall of GRUB?

It should have at the first place.

By the way, after installation of Manjaro, did you go to the bios settings to put Manjaro at the top of the boot devices?

Yes. That was the first thing I checked-"Oh, I must have moved it by mistake!"
Moving Manjaro to the top of the list does nothing, leading to now. I tried to check the bootloader in Win10 after resetting ESP and boot, along with my mountpoint, but got the generic "You must be an admin to open this drive".

Oh you know what I bet that's what it is, It's the only explanation that makes any sense if they actually do have their own ESP's.

It wouldn't be unusual for Windows to move itself back to the top after a feature update. In any case, yeah if moving Manjaro back to the top of the list doesn't work or the entry is missing, then go ahead and reinstall grub.

This is weird.

It suddenly comes to mind that I'm not sure if I set the ESP flag when I installed. Note that I have no clue if I have or have not.

Yes, that was my suspicion but yet:

So I guess the answer to

is yes as it seems to be the option that could potentially resolve the issue.

1 Like

One final thing. This will not effect Windows, correct? I can afford losing Linux, but I cannot at any point lose Windows.

I'm not sure it'll make a difference but you can assign the flag manually with a command I can't remember off the top of my head or in gparted.

Nah
You'll have to have to run
sudo update-grub after reinstalling it to add windows to the boot menu. Well, that'll be covered in the guide anyway.

1 Like

I am proceeding with the first instructionset then.

:: grub-vanilla and grub are in conflict (grub-common). Remove grub? [y/N]
Go ahead and remove it?

Yep
(5 character limit)

Forum kindly sponsored by