Windows Update on Dual Boot Machine, Lead to Grub Rescue

Im sure this topic has been discussed extensively, but every solution i come across doesn't work in one way or another.

My system is a single 500gb ssd, with 350 gb for windows installed first and 150gb for linux installed alongside. I let windows do an update last night, and woke up to a grub rescue screen.

Using ls on all the options yielded unknown file system. I booted into my live usb manjaro, and ran lsblk -f and found sda6, my manjaro install, to have no information whatsoever.

Attempting to use these commands in su mode:
manjaro-chroot -a
returned "you cannot mount 0"
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
returned invalid argument

GParted shows a 100mb partition on sda2, EFI, with flags boot,esp. I assumed this was where i had grub. Running:
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot
Returned mount point doesnt exist.

Thats mostly all Ive tried. I'm sorry for the formatting of this post as I'm on mobile. I'll try and clean it up for future noobies. Here is a picture of my lsblk -f:

I was able to do:
mount /dev/sda2 /boot
But mounting sda6 still wont work:
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
"Sda6/ cant find in /etc/fstab"

Try this [Simple First Start].

Don't forget to start up in uefi and do the [2Additional UEFI commands].

1 Like

I couldnt do
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Additionally, running:
gtub> search.file /etc/manjaro-release root
Couldnt find the file

grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Just returned me to the live usb screen

I was looking into possible solutions, and found this, but i dont know what to put in place of {bootmgr} path. Can you help me with this?

I don't do this. If @AgentS wants to try, he will reply to you.
I think you should reinstall. Your installation is not right.

1 Like

That does not seem to solve your issue (which is actually unknown).
As for your question, you don't replace anything. As it is.

Actually, the easy thing for any support assistant would be to re-install. Some time ago I would try to help you find the problem, but tonight I am not capable. I feel very sad, and I am on high and flammable burning spirit. I met the disrespect in a huge volume. We may cry together if you like...

Maybe the forum has some great guru to help you more (than suggesting to re-install, like professional Windows technicians know to offer...).

You are caught in the middle... Sorry!.. :cry::sob:
Good luck!

3 Likes

Yeqh, i ended up recovering what i can and then reinstalling. Who needs a windows partition anyways anyways! Enjoy your drink :slight_smile: , wish i had one

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by