Wired internet connects slowly

Hi everyone,

after booting Manjaro, it takes 45 seconds until I am connected to the internet over wired connection, (sometimes it takes 11 seconds). That is unusually slow, how can I speed this up?
Additionally, I got one disconnect (with quick reconnect) today.
What is going on, how can I fix the problem?

Can you post the network setup?

The cause for this behaviour could be:

1. defective cable to the router
  2. Bad network chip

You've not given any information about your host and drivers.
Please post output of inxi -Fxxxz --no-host.

2 Likes

@Keruskerfuerst
So such a long time is not normal - what would you say, is it possible to get below 11 seconds?

@freggel.doe
Thank you, I did not know that command. Here are the relevant parts from the output:

System:    Kernel: 5.3.12-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.3 tk: Qt 5.13.2 
           wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 3 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: X79-UD3 v: x.x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: F20 date: 03/19/2014
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network vendor: Gigabyte driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus ID: 00:19.0 
           chip ID: 8086:1503 
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

I have set wired connection to "Allow Auto-Negotiation" in Systemsettings, but it did not make a difference.

Kernel 5.3 has issues with Intel gigabit Ethernet and the e1000e driver.

Changing kernels seems to be the best way to fix it. 4.19 is an LTS kernel, that'd be my choice.

Some seem to have success with the e1000e driver on AUR (info by @tbg, 2nd reply).

1 Like

Thanks jillswift,

so I simply install the LTS kernel from manjaro-settings-manager / Kernel or do I additionally have to select it at boot each time or even remove 5.3?
Do you happen to know if it is fixed in 5.4?

You can:

1. Install kernel 4.19.xx
  2. Remove kernel 5.3.xx
    with manjaro settings manager.
2 Likes

You can choose in the GRUB menu. See this thread on how to get it on startup.

2 Likes

I don't know if 5.4 is any better. Worth installing it to try, I think. Just have a working kernel to fall back to just in case (good general advice anyway).

2 Likes

And... I have almost instantaneously connecting internet with kernel 4.19.85-1 LTS, thanks for the help you all!

Update:
Since the last system upgrade reset my active kernel to 5.3.15-1 and made 5.4.2-1 LTS available, I took the opportunity to test kernel 5.4:
kernel 5.3.15-1: 53 seconds to connect
kernel 5.4.2-1 LTS: didn't connect at all (I stopped waiting after 300 seconds). It finally connected minutes after manually disconnecting and reconnecting, so it is significantly worse compared to kernel 5.3.
kernel 5.4.6-2: takes very long to connect.
kernel 5.4.13-3/5.4.14-2: connects almost instantly. Good enough, but still slower than 4.19
Therefore, kernel 4.19 still is the best for Intel gigabit Ethernet.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by