Xbox 360 controller doesn't work in Steam games (but works everywhere else)

After a recent system update, my wireless Xbox 360 controller doesn't work anymore in Steam games. However, it does work anywhere else: in Wine games, RetroArch, MAME, I can even navigate in Steam Big Picture! It is the games launched from Steam that have this issue and I don't know what's wrong.

You can read the terminal output of Steam here (although I haven't found any errors about the controller specifically).

Edit: To be more specific, I use vanilla xpad (xboxdrv hasn't proved to be perfect in the past) and the affected games are DiRT Showdown, Overlord II, and Toki Tori 2+.

I dont even know where to start...

But could you try to open the big-picture mode(BPM) and configure your controller in there? Because steam will use these settings also from outside the BPM. So maybe that will help you.

Thank you for the suggestion! Now the games do pick up the buttons and analogue sticks, but it's far from perfect.

Vibration is now disabled (even though it is enabled both in Steam and the games), and in DiRT Showdown the keyboard seems to be emulated in a weird way (for example, the Start button does the same as pressing the Esc key) and I can't drive at all. And yet, according to Steam, all the buttons of the controller are set up correctly, and I chose the template Gamepad, which is said to be ideal for games with native controller support.

So, I don't like Valve's changes at all so far. :frowning:

Edit: I forgot to mention that the only way I can play DiRT Showdown is running env MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 ./dirt from terminal, or else I only get an error message saying that my graphics card doesn't support OpenGL 4.1 (which is not true). Maybe this is why the controller settings from Steam are ignored, but I'm not sure.

you can set via rightclick > properties of a game the launch options. Set them to:

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 %command%

Then the game should pick up that env variable every time you start it on steam.

That was the missing piece! Thank you! (I've experimented with the launch options before, but I couldn't make them work.)

Now if only vibration could work again.

Forum kindly sponsored by