XFCE: Unable to set wallpaper or see desktop context menu after update?

I'm running Manjaro XFCE, and recently performed an update. The first attempt resulted in a black screen of death, but after a hard reset and another attempt, everything finally updated. However, now I can no longer set my wallpaper (nothing in the Settings Manager allows me to change it) and my wallpaper is now just a black background. Additionally, trying to right-click on the desktop to bring up the context menu now brings up... nothing. No menu, nada.

Any idea what got removed during the update that I might have to reinstall? Things that I thought it might be still show up as installed (e.g. xfce4-settings), and appear to work aside from the lack of wallpaper settings.

Alternatively, in the absence of a GUI solution, how else can I set the desktop wallpaper?

Unfortunately I haven't go an answer and instead I'm here just to ask the same question and raise my hand. I'm using KDE Plasma.
After performing an update and rebooting I have lost my desktop background and the ability to right click (no menu opens on right click). My secondary monitor still works like normal with both a desktop background and the ability to right click to open the context menu.

I have tried changing which screen is the primary monitor but that has no effect and there are no problems other than the lack of desktop. Program windows open and behave as normal and the lock screen still has a background on both screens.

I'm a Manjaro newcomer so if there are any logs or any other information that anyone would like to help troubleshoot the problem then please let me know what you would like and I will post it.

Thanks!

Well, I think I've found half the problem. xfdesktop-gtk3 got uninstalled (when I removed Thunar, it seems you can't have one without the other), and reinstalling at at least shows the option to change desktop wallpaper again in the Settings Manager. However, actually trying to change the wallpaper results in no changes actually being made; i.e. I'm still stuck with a completely black background.

I've also tried to change it from the command line with no success. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edit: After rebooting, wallpaper has reappeared, as has the context menu. So, leave Thunar installed, even if you're not using it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by