Xorg can't find GLX for Nvidia

OK will add nomodset :wink:
I have brand new HP laptop Probook 450 G5, Do I need to test the second line ?

Oh, i take it back, use the first line and post your journalctl.

I wrote the second line because you have this in your boot log.

juin 27 21:52:19 probook kernel: ACPI: Added _OSI(Module Device)
juin 27 21:52:19 probook kernel: ACPI: Added _OSI(Processor Device)
juin 27 21:52:19 probook kernel: ACPI: Added _OSI(3.0 _SCP Extensions)
juin 27 21:52:19 probook kernel: ACPI: Added _OSI(Processor Aggregator Device)
juin 27 21:52:19 probook kernel: ACPI: Added _OSI(Linux-Dell-Video)

Just see your previous edit, will try this first. Thanks

I cannot answer your question if I want to enable _OSI(Linux-Dell-Video) oem osi (!) Don't know the side effect !
i will give a try anyway

Just try any line. :grin:

AFAIK:
acpi_osi=! means your OS telling your motherboard that it doesn't need any build in patch.
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=‘Windows 2012' means your OS only need build in Windows 2012 patch.
acpi_osi=‘Windows 2012' means your OS need to enable Windows 2012 build in patch.
acpi_osi=Linux means your OS telling the motherboard that "yes i'am linux" if it asked.

There are many other acpi_osi parameter with different effect to different hardware.

Thank for all SDN.
I just try grub option nomodset acpi_osi="Windows 2012"
1st boot Manjaro Xfce 18 beta 3 : Boot OK, everything fine
Then I reboot the laptop to test others. (I would have better shut it down)
2nd select Manjaro Deepin 17.1.10: freeze after grub (with above grub option)
Hard-shutdown and reboot
3rd select Manjaro Gnome 17.1.10: freeze after grub (with above grub option)
Hard-shutdown and reboot
4th boot on Manjaro Xfce 18 beta 3: freeze after grub (with above grub option) also

Something breaks at 1st reboot, I still don't know why it is persistent after reboot.
But cold boot do not to work every time neither
Bios maybe ?

You spell it wrong. It's nomodeset not nomodset. You might want to quick edit your boot option by pressing E at grub and look for that line.

Oh, my fault. Sorry
Forgive a french guy

It's OK. English is not my native language too. :smile:

And don't forget to test the first line too if you still getting error/freeze.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“nomodeset acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=‘Windows 2012’”

Just try the three conbinations on manjaro Xfce (v.18 beta 3)
Each time I put nomodeset as grub option, the grub itself freeze with text and logo on screen and I can here the fan. Strange no ? (remember Nvidia GC is disable by bios)
I try then the option that was working this morning acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=‘Windows 2012 it freeze again at black screen :disappointed:

Hmm, that's strange indeed. But you have new laptop model, so it maybe just incompatibility issue.

Anyway, can you enter TTY and post journalctl -b0 and cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log right now?

If you can't enter TTY, well, I have no idea how to help you. Perhaps you want to try another OS.

One more thing, you said that you get this problem after you install nvidia-hybrid, right? Well, my best suggestion is you may need to delete your Manjaro and install it again (if you still want to use Manjaro). Don't forget to make backup for any important data.

I'm sorry I can't help you. :slightly_frowning_face:

I will keep my Manjaro partitions for a while and aply future updates (or next major version). For now I return to Ubuntu as it works flawlessly, it is my laptop wish, not mine ! I will be back some days when my laptop will be a bit older. Thanks to all

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by