Yaourt where the log is?

Hello,

I want to uninstall an application and its dependencies so I need to look at the installation log yaourt to know which should eliminate. Where is the log?

Thank you.

I don't think there is proper yaourt log. (for the AUR part)
if you install a repository software with yaourt, it's pacman that will install the software as yaourt is just a pacman wrapper and an AUR helper.
then the pacman log is
/var/log/pacman.log

when you install an AUR package, it just build a package and then install it with pacman then it's the same log

1 Like

Yaourt is just an AUR helper. It still uses pacman for installations. Also, you shouldn't need to track down dependencies manually to completely uninstall a package. Just use:

sudo pacman -Rs <PKG NAME>

This will uninstall the package and all unneeded dependencies.

You can also pass in -Rns instead. This will remove all configuration files as well (except for the ones in your home directory; pacman will never touch files in your home directory).

1 Like

As people have already mentioned, yaourt does not really need a log file.

But just for grins, if you really want to...yaourt builds packages in /tmp, which gets cleared on logout/reboot. If you want to keep a cache you can edit yaoutrc so that it builds packages in a directory that does not get automatically cleared.

If you want to make a log file, you would need to make a function in bashrc something like:
yaourtlog() { yaourt -S $1 | tee /var/log/yaourt.log }

then alias yaourt=yaourtlog

This has limitations but should work.

Hello,

pastebin.com/aQYSpbhK

looking at the log of pacman on installing open365, you can see the large number of packages to be installed, if I try to uninstall open365 with pacman just me remove that package and not the rest with what the system is dirty. In the end I uninstalled some of those packages manually.

like as @rev said
sudo pacman -Rns open365
should uninistall all dependencies that are not needed by an other package.

man pacman

-s, --recursive
           Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that (A) they are not required by other packages; and (B) they were not explicitly installed by
           the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards --sync operation, and it helps keep a clean system without orphans. If you want to omit condition (B),
           pass this option twice.

and if you check your logs almost all package were installed with
-asdeps

man pacman

--asdeps
           Install packages non-explicitly; in other words, fake their install reason to be installed as a dependency. This is useful for makepkg and other build-from-source tools
           that need to install dependencies before building the package.
1 Like

just for future readers of this topic, who encounter the same problem. pacli-simple has a "log" option, which lets you easily filter your pacman log file.

• install the "pacli-simple" AUR package.
  • run "pacli log" in your terminal or use the CLI by running "pacli" in your terminal.
  • by default your log is filtered for ALPMevents, but you can simply press the backspace key on your keyboard a couple of times (and delete "ALPM" as your log file search filter string) and e.g. search for "installed". this will show all log entries of packages getting installed on your system. this way, you do not see, whether it was installed on demand or as dependency. if you want to see that, you need to look at the complete log file by deleting all search filters and searching for "--asdeps" arguments (scachemaille has explained this in his last post). this can be a tedious process.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by